AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Linda L. Walling" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 16:19:05 -0500
Thanks, Cheryl, for showing us another group we need to target -- not just about appropriate language but also about appropriate editing! It is VERY discouraging to carefully write and then discover after publication changes that make you cringe!  Linda
\"Library Access -- http://www.rit.edu/~easi\" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

As one of the authors of an article in the October 2001 issue of Computers
in Libraries, I am glad that you thought that issue might be of interest.
I am very sorry if you, or others, were offended by the use of the word
\"handicapped.\" I want to assure you that this was an unintentional slight.
The editor not only did not catch this term but actually inserted it! The
submitted title of our article was “Nuts and Bolts of Web Accessibility”
but was published as “How We Renovated Our Library, Physically and Electronically,
for Handicapped Patrons.”  We were not aware of the title change until
we received the journal.  Imagine our surprise!
The only place we used the word \"handicapped\" was in referring to the
name of the library, “Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.”
We could hardly avoid that. However, in February this department name was
changed to “Talking Book Services.”
I want to assure you that we hold our patrons and others who use assistive
technology in the highest regards and would never intentionally offend
them.
Cheryl Kirkpatrick
> Web Administrator/
> Information Technology Librarian
> South Carolina State Library
> <A TARGET=\"Link\" HREF=\"http://www.state.sc.us/scsl/\">http://www.state.sc.us/scsl/</A>
> Telephone: 803.734.5831

Tanya Feddern wrote:

Hello, everyone!
There were some special issues & article bibliographies that may
be of interest:
\"Computers in Libraries\" vol. 21, no. 9, Oct. 2001
> Providing for Special Populations: Making Sure Everyone Has Access
to Information
> <A TARGET=\"Link\" href=\"http://www.infotoday.com/cilmag/oct01/cilmag.htm\">http://www.infotoday.com/cilmag/oct01/cilmag.htm</A>I
was shocked that the editor did not catch the terms in bad taste (\"handicapped\").
Ugh!  Though if you do a search in the Library Literature database,
you\'ll find lots of articles using \"disabled patrons.\"
Disability, Culture, & Service Issues (online bibliography of
disability & librarianship by Bob L. Dunlap, II)
> <A TARGET=\"Link\" href=\"http://home.earthlink.net/~bldunlap2/disabilities/index.html\">http://home.earthlink.net/~bldunlap2/disabilities/index.html</A>
Resources for Librarians with Disabilities (short bibliography &
links)
> <A TARGET=\"Link\" href=\"http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Heights/4717/dislib.html\">http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Heights/4717/dislib.html</A>
Disability Resources (bibliography)
> <A TARGET=\"Link\" href=\"http://www.disabilityresources.org/DRMlibs-pubs.html\">http://www.disabilityresources.org/DRMlibs-pubs.html</A>From