AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tokiko Bazzell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 09:49:34 -0400
I would like to know the result of your survey too.  Could you post it after
getting enough samplings?  Here is my reply:

>1. Do you provide special services on demand at all times your library is open,
>or only during certain posted times?

Reader services are provided by the campus Disability Support Services
office not by the library.  The students with visual disability can make an
arrangement in advance with DSS.  Pulling out books from stacks can be
arranged at least 24 hour advanced notice.  If the circulation is well
staffed, the patron can make a request during the circulation desk (8am to
12am).  Individual research services are arranged by appointment at any
mutually agreeable time between a librarian and a patron.

>2. Do you have OCR electronic reading packages such as Reading Edge or
>Telesensory Domino portable readers for patron use?

We have two PCs with Window Eyes software, OpenBook Unbound, ZoomText,
MegaDots, and a 20" monitor available.  We also have a Telesensory Chroma
Plus print magnifier.

>3. Do you provide a braille embosser for patron use on demand?

One PC is connected to a braille printer available during the library hours.

>4. Do your staff ever assist patrons in finding accessible texts through the
>use of the NLS, APH, or RFBD online catalogs on the Web?

No.

>5. Are your OPAC terminals equipped with text enlargement or screen readers?

Yes.

>6. Do any of you use microfilm OCR technology such as recently released by
>Xerox?

No.

|Tokiko Yamamoto Bazzell   |
|American University       |