AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 16:34:42 -0800
I am especially interested in accessible chat with a librarian.
At 04:16 PM 11/8/2008, you wrote:
>Norm, based on my experience (which is limited to academic libraries),
>many academic libraries provide several communication channels by which
>their patrons can get into touch with the reference or help-desk staff.
>Contact via phone and email is almost always an option. Some academic
>libraries utilize chat software, which may or may not be accessible; but
>most of the time plain email is offered as an alternative.
>
>Admittedly, it would be good to see some more hard-core data on this
>issue. I'm particularly concerned about those libraries at which the
>initial question is to be entered into a form, which may or may not work
>well with screen readers. While the librarian will respond via email (and
>the ensuing follow-up would be conducted via email), getting the initial
>question out to the librarian may be a problem if the form is not designed
>with accessibility in mind.
>
>My colleagues on this list might disagree.  Let's wait for further responses.
>
>Greetings,
>
>Axel
>University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

Norman Coombs [log in to unmask]
CEO EASI Equal Access to Software and Information
phone (949) 855-4852 (NOTE pacific time zone)
****READ ABOUT THE DICK BANKS MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP:
http://easi.cc/scholarship.htm