AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dick Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:23:01 -0500
Well, we are neighbors. I am only about an hour away from Minneapolis.

In answer to your questions. VIA VOICE works quite well as a speech
recognition program. Dragon DIctate is another such program. I believe
Dragon is probably the most popular. That does not mean it is better. I
have used both programs and they work just fine.

I think the thing that you need to understand is that you need to work with
either program for some time to not only be comfortable with it, but to get
the kind of dictation accuracy that is productive.

Both software programs declare that you can DICTATE RIGHT AWAY, and that is
true in the sense that it works. To achieve 95 to 99 percent dictation
accuracy, it takes a couple of months of working with it.

Dick

At 01:03 PM 10/21/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>My name is Meg Canada and I work for the Hennepin County Library system in
>the western suburbs of Minneapolis.  Has anyone heard of VIA VOICE?  Would
>you recommend it?  Is there another software equivalent you would recommend?
>I have a staff member who is having hand surgery and will be unable to type.
>Thank you in advance for your assistance.
>

>Meg Canada
>Library Technical Assistant
>HCL Southdale

Dick Banks
CIO - EASI
Equal Access to Software and Information
http://easi.cc