AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 14:32:27 -0600
Dear List Members:

Re: the "people with learning differences" thread/note on policy
language:

I agree that there is a [big] difference between our everyday and
our policy=legal language. In legal documents and discourse
concerning all matters, all of us need to utilize the currently
appropriate legal language to protect our rights.

However, policy/legal language can change and be improved over
time, if we begin NOW to make positive changes in our everyday
communication.

Descriptors for other [for instance, minority] groups have
changed and have been improved over time; why not descriptors for
people who do things differently?

If we don't advocate for ourselves (yes, everyone joins the class
sooner or later), and for the people we serve, who will?

Positive sells, positive wins, every time.
Ellen Perlow
Chair, ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee
"Celebrating a New Century that Celebrates Diversity"
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html
Class Lifetime Member