AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Audrey J. Gorman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:16:22 -0600
Sarah (and everyone else too),

Have you talked to Cathleen Bourdon about the scholarship idea? The reason
I ask is that ALA generally discourages individuals on committees from
approaching vendors for money without clearing it first. The concern in the
past has been that vendors get hit up by lots of people for small amounts
of money, ALA will come off looking disorganized, and in total we'll end up
with less money than if we went about it in a coordinated way. Also, there
are some rules about what constitutes a scholarship, how much money has to
be offered, and more I can't remember.

I've been thinking about the vendors from the Accessibility Pavilion last
year. At least some of them will be back for 2002, though I don't know
which ones for sure. However, I can't think of any who didn't tell me that
just exhibiting was stretching their budgets almost too far. ALA Annual is
a bigger and more expensive show than many. Still, they may be worth a try,
maybe even as a group. Deidre Ross should be able to get you the full list.
 I can come up with some of them right off the top of my head: Freedom
Scientific, AI Squared (ZoomText folks),  IBM Accessibility Center,
Tack-Tiles Braille Systems, the Reading Pen folks. Some were non-profits
like RFB&D and National Federation of the Blind,  who are unlikely to be
able to contribute. AlphaSmart wasn't in the Pavilion last year, but has
been a vendor at Annual for a while. We were hoping to get them into the
Pavilion this year.

Let's talk about this a little more. Maybe we can come up with a package
that would include a bit of expense money in it. We may not be able to call
it a scholarship, at least not yet!

Regards!
Audrey