AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 08:12:04 -0600
Dear Everyone:

To clarify my last message, requesting that we describe who we
are, what we do, and for what we advocate in POSITIVE terms:

If WE use the negative, demeaning "d/dis" words, WE are
perpetuating the negative, demeaning stereotypes about PEOPLE
with differences (aren't we all?) ingrained in our society.  And
as they say, we reap what we sow: intolerance, discrimination,
and the failure of our advocacy.

If WE do not think and speak highly and positively about
ourselves, who will?  As Madison Avenue knows and, as consumers,
we all should realize: Positive Sells, Positive Wins, Every Time.

Ellen Perlow
Class Lifetime Member
Chair, ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee
"Celebrating a New Century that Celebrates Diversity"
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]