AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:14:51 -0500
Thanks Trevor! I'm not familiar with Omnipage. It sounds as if it is similar to Kurzweil 1000, which, as I understand it, is capable of OCRing any document that can be potentially printed, including scanned-in pages of articles. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) I would like to hear from folks who have experience with this Kurzweil 1000 function (or with Omnipage).  What are the current problems? Are they likely to get resolved as technology advances?

I'm trying to form an opinion on this emerging technology: Should we, as accessibility-advocating librarians, keep up our resistance to an electronic reserve system that contains image-based/scanned-in material, or should we concede that advancing technology makes concerns about the accessibility of image-based documents increasingly a non-issue? Should we pursue strategies that would result in the placement of accessible, text-based materials on e-reserves, or is it wiser to channel our energy into a different direction?

What do you people think?

Axel