AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heather L Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:36:02 -0400
Hello Rose,

At the University of New Hampshire, we use a variety of assistive
technologies (although we do not have as much as I wish we did).  We have
ZoomText for screen magnification, JAWS for screen reading, Reading
AdvantEdge (soon to switch over to Kurzweil) for document
scanning/reading, a braille embosser, Dragon Naturally Speaking for hands
free composition, and an Optelec ClearView was just donated to replace
our very old CCTV.  All of our assistive technologies sit on height adjustable
tables.  And I'm hoping that we will soon be acquiring at least one TDD.

As I'm new to my position at the University here, I'm not sure of the
myriad of financial resources used to acquire new technologies.  Some
items are donated (such as the ClearView and the braille embosser), some
are acquired through our own budget, and some items have been acquired
through grants.

As for challenges, they come and go as we learn more about assistive
technology and how it fits in with our community of learners.  In my
experience here, the greatest challenge so far has been acquiring enough
technology (or even the correct technology) to assist the greatest variety
of disabilities.  I am finding that, especially due to extreme budgetary
constraints, it is seemingly impossible for any one library to acquire
every piece of assistive technology to satisfy every case.  Libraries,
being what they are, will never have THAT much money.  And then there's
the challenge of security, but most libraries already know what security
challenges can be like.

And as for suggestions for those libraries just beginning to integrate
assistive technologies into their services: keep at it!  I can't stress
enough how important it is for every library to become an advocate for
assistive technology and disability awareness.

Heather L. Gagnon
Dimond Library