AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 06:34:08 -0700
>Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:47:10 -0400
>From: Michael Burks <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: FW: media:American Council of the Blind Endorses HiSoftware Company
>  Cynthia Says (TM) and AccVerify Cynthia Says (TM) Edition as excellent
>  resources for testing web site accessibility
>Sender: Internet Society Disability Chapter <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030521/new016_1.html
>
>For Immediate Release
>
>For more information, contact:
>Charles Crawford, Executive Director
>
>American Council of the Blind Endorses HiSoftware Company Cynthia Says
>(TM) and AccVerify Cynthia Says (TM) Edition as excellent resources for
>testing web site accessibility
>
>WASHINGTON, May 21, 2003 -- The American Council of the Blind (ACB)
>today announced that, as the leading organization of blind and visually
>impaired Americans, ACB endorses and recommends HiSoftware Company
>solutions Cynthia Says (TM) as well as AccVerify Cynthia Says (TM), as
>excellent tools for guaranteeing that web sites will be accessible to
>people who are blind and visually impaired. "Because of their
>scalability, cost effectiveness, and usefulness in web site
>accessibility testing," says ACB President Christopher Gray, of San
>Francisco, Calif., "these products offer a wonderful, affordable
>solution to web masters for making their sites accessible to people with
>disabilities."
>
>HiSoftware Company, Inc. launched Cynthia Says (TM) in March of 2003, in
>cooperation with the International Center for Disability Resources on
>the Internet, and the Internet Society Disability and Special Needs
>Chapter. Cynthia Says (TM) provides testing of web sites for compliance
>with Section 508 and World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) web accessibility
>standards. Cynthia Says (TM) tests web sites and reports accessibility
>issues immediately through simple and easy-to-understand web browser
>based reports.
>
>According to Robert B. Yonaitis, HiSoftware President and CEO, "The goal
>of this service is to provide a well-supported accessibility validation
>tester for those who need to test a page and to expose them to the
>underlying technology and the benefits of using the technology."
>
>Through its endorsement, the American Council of the Blind will also be
>promoting the downloadable version of the software, AccVerify Cynthia
>Says
>(TM) Edition. This solution, which is available at no cost to all K-12
>schools and at a nominal cost to others, helps educate and assist web
>content developers to make their Internet content accessible to computer
>users who rely on assistive software, such as screen-reading and
>magnification programs and refreshable Braille displays, to access
>information on their computer screens. "HiSoftware Company is pleased
>and honored that our solutions were selected for recommendation by the
> [...]

                                                         ------------------------------
EASI's June, month-long online courses:
Barrier-free Information technology
Advanced Barrier-free Web Design
http://easi.cc/workshop.htm

                                         Norman Coombs, Ph.D.
CEO EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information)
22196 Caminito Tasquillo
         Laguna Hills CA 92653
home: (949)  855-4852
         Cell: (949) 922-5992