AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:58:53 -0500
Below is a message received by Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), who feel this is outside of their expertise.  Can anyone send information that will help?  Thanks!
---------------------
 Dear sirs:
My name is Angelica Hasbun , and I am the Online Volunteer for People
With Disabilities Uganda. People With Disabilities Uganda is a national
nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to promoting awareness and

services to people with disabilities. In March of 2000, PWD signed up
with Netaid.org to begin working with online volunteers. To date we have

over 200 volunteers in 41 countries and 6 continents! We have made great

strides on many projects and look forward to more success in the future.

One project that we are particularly excited about is the creation of a
children's resource library. In our center in Kampala, we host several
skills building programs for young children with disabilities. The
disabilities we see include but are not limited to blindness,
deafness, ambulatory ailments and developmental delays. Most are caused
by war, disease or malnutrition.
Because of prevailing attitudes in Uganda regarding disability, these
children have no access to resources. By creating this library we hope
to put these resources into the hands of these young children. By giving

them access to information and encouragement,
we believe we can help them learn to live with their disability, become
independent and gain a stronger self confidence.

We´re now in active search of software that would enable our kids to
"check out" the books and take them home. Could you recommend s
software for our library? Can you refer us to any other source of
information that can help us design our lending system effectively for
our kids?
Thanks for your support in making life better for our kids! If you have
any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,
Angelica Hasbun
On- Line Volunteer
People With Disabilities Uganda