AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 07:33:58 -0400
Recently, EASI's listserv lists have been hit with more spam than usual.
Congress is again considering legislation on the topic:

HOUSE PASSES LEGISLATION TO STEM JUNK E-MAIL FLOOD

An anti-spam bill sponsored by Rep. Heather Wilson (R-N.M.)
sailed with ease through the House yesterday by a 427-1 vote.
Rep. Gene Greene (D-Texas) touted the legislation as "a tool that
can now be used to filter and stop unwanted intrusions into our
homes and offices."  The bill empowers the FTC to take action
against violators of the bill's terms, gives ISPs the freedom to
sue spammers, and forces those sending unsolicited e-mails to
place an accurate return address on messages.  The Direct
Marketing Association believes the bill still needs some work.
Jerry Cerasale, the DMA's senior vice president for government
affairs, says the bill unnecessarily burdens direct marketers and
gives consumers carte blanche to sue the senders of unsolicited
e-mails.  "We agree with the vast majority of the bill," Cerasale
says.  Cerasale says the DMA will push for revisions of the
Senate version of the bill. (USA Today, 19 July 2000)

EASI has a new link on its web page called IT-News which posts items such
as this that we think interests our readers.  Those items rotate rapidly.
We try to add info almost every day.  After a week or two, items will be
removed.

http://www.rit.edu/~easi

Norman Coombs