AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Marti Goddard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:31:19 -0700
Fellow AXSLIB contributors -
I've read with interest Harold Maio's responses to queries from colleagues
on this list about how they can make their libraries more accessible for
patrons with disabilities. The attached comment has stayed in my "in" box
for a few days as I tried to think of how to respond constructively. I hope my
response will be seen as it is intended, a reality check about what we all
are trying to accomplish.

Each of our libraries is multiple user environment where staff members
will, if their accessibility program is successful, welcome individuals
with a wide variety of needs for accommodation. In an ideal world, we would
know the unique needs of each potential user before s/he enters our doors
and settles in to independently use our print and online resources. We
would have an ideal set-up waiting for each individual, a large crew of
knowledgeable staff who could provide one-to-one training as needed, etc. I
can't imagine any library system having resources that would enable it to
create the perfect environment Mr. Maio advocates - a single user
workstation for each person with a disability

At the San Francisco Public Library, we have installed in our Main Library
a variety of computer-based assistive technology stations, configured to
meet the needs of  "generic" users who have low vision, learning
differences, mobility/dexterity disabilitiesis, and those who are blind or
deaf-blind. We interview individuals who want to use the stations and
direct them to the solution that might best meet their needs. This is
obviously a work in progress, and it always will be. I am working today on
specifications for workstations with head tracker capability and an upgrade
for our braille station.

Please visit the SFPL Access Services department at:
<http://sfpl4.sfpl.org/access_services/>
More information about our computer-based assistive technology is at:
<http://sfpl4.sfpl.org/access_services/assist_tech2.htm>

Good luck all!
Marti

At 08:48 AM 7/26/02 EDT, you wrote:
>Before a site can be adpated to a disability, a person, onehas to know the
>person. harold
Marti Goddard, Access Services Manager
San Francisco Public Library
100 Larkin Street