AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:37:16 GMT
Hello Bill,

In message  <[log in to unmask]>
Wilfred (Bill) Drew, via [log in to unmask] writes:

>We are looking into purchasing software for some public computers to provide
>better access for those that need screen readers or talking browsers.  Can
>anyone make any recommendations?

Presumably you are looking for software to help people with a print
disability to access library information and digital texts.  You might
be interested in Cloudworld's WordAloud software, which is very
simple to install and use, and is reasonably priced.  There is a lot
of interest particularly from the dyslexia experts over here in the UK.
It combines word-at-a-time display (suitable for people with low vision)
and speech synthesis (so it can be used by people who are totally blind).
It can be operated by keyboard or mouse (so it can be used by people
who cannot use a mouse or cannot use a keyboard).

It currently operates as an off-line browser, so you can follow
hypertext links and navigate around the hard disc.

Concerning your purchase of monitors, you do not need a large monitor
with WordAloud, because of the magnification available.

Furthermore, because of its simplicity of use, you don't need to spend
great sums in training your staff.  I know libraries in the UK with
expensive equipment which is gathering dust, just because the staff
can't or won't be trained.

See www.wordaloud.co.uk for more information and an evaluation copy
to download.

Cheers from Chiswick,

John

P.S.  The Bush quote in your signature made me laugh!

--
Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London, UK
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
Fax:   +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk and http://www.wordaloud.co.uk