AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Valerie Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:41:20 -0500
Dear List,

I agree with Ellen.

I am legally blind and a user of an accessible workstation in my library.  I
think that it is of utmost importance that workstations are out in the open
(with appropriate signage) so that ALL patrons will see what the library has
to offer.

So many people with disabilities are unaware of the wonderful technology
that is available to help them.  I have encountered numerous patrons who
have given up their jobs or have isolated themselves in their homes, because
they felt that there was nothing left for them.

The knowledge that there is apiece of equipment or software that will allow
someone to live an independent and productive life is priceless. So many
times it is a family member or friend who finds out "by accident" that there
is something for their friend or loved one.  The library is a prime location
for this type of discovery.

I work with 56 public libraries in my county to ensure accessibility.  To
make sure that none of the technology is hidden in the closet.  It is a
wonderful adventure to educate people about the need for accessibility.
People want to know, and it is my job to teach them.  And, if the tools of
independence and productivity are openly displayed, it will teach others.

Valerie Lewis
Administrator of Outreach Services
Suffolk Cooperative Library System