AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 07:29:47 +0000
EASI Weekly Webcast Roundtable this week is the DREAMS Project from North
Dakota designed to help native American students with disabilities study
science and math.  It does this by making connections with Native American
values and beliefs. . .

"based on the circle of life.  And the native American philosophy is all
things are related to the whole.  That, life moves into circle and
everything around it.  And there are four elements that are needed for this
life and that's the earth, the fire, the water and the air.  We have teams
of teachers, sight people, that work together and develop this curriculum
and each one of them had a certain focus that they did.  In the summer
times we came together and we tested the lessons with the kids . . ."

This project is an exciting example of using creativity and technology to
transcend disabilities and many other social and physical disadvantages.

Thursday night at http://www.rit.edu/~easi
9 pm Eastern, 8 Central, 7 Mountain and 6 Pacific!

Drop in and hear for yourself~!
A text transcription is also available as are archives of a dozen previous
webcasts.

While you visit the web check out EASI's online workshops.  One is on
making science and math more accessible. Beginning Jan. 18 and the others
deal with general adaptive technology and with universal web design.

Norman Coombs, Ph.D.
Chair of EASI