AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:01:23 -0600
Re the student in Canada with vision differences who wishes to
take a hands-on automotive engineering course.

Has the student been consulted as to whether s/he believes s/he
can successfully complete the course as written in the syllabus?

I have had a mobility difference since day one, and do many
things, including carrying heavy packages and walking long
distances, that people falsely assume I am not capable of doing.
I just may do some things differently. I  also know what I should
not even attempt to do for safety reasons, and do not even think
of attempting what for me, as well as for others around me, would
be unsafe.  It is a matter of compensating for one's weaker
points by developing one's strengths. [don't we all?]

The perceptual, spatial, and tactile accuity and awareness that
people with vision differences develop, perhaps by necessity, are
extraordinary and far exceed what we who seem to take our vision
for granted ever usually attain. And with today's high tech ...

First Stop:  The Student.

------

Ellen Perlow
Chair, ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee
"Celebrating a New Century that Celebrates Diversity"
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html
Web: http://twu.edu/~s_perlow/
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]