AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:04:13 -0600
Susan,

Thanks for the reminder about those wonderful resources about people with deafness! I'll have to go back and reread your chapter in Tom McNulty's book, which was done by ACRL.

Regards!
Audrey

<<< [log in to unmask] 12/11 10:26a >>>
Michael:
        You will find a marvelous wealth of information about people with deafness
and their access challenges and solutions on Karen Nakamura's website:
http://www.deaflibrary.org/.  Karen has been working on this site for years,
beginning with her time as a student at Yale. Please keep scrolling down her
first page. You will be amazed at what you find.
        Karen and I agree on the DeafWorldWeb: http://deafworldweb.org/int/us/.
This is a site that addresses the international situation of persons with
deafness, country by country. There are sign languages related to the
language of each country. In the United States, for example, American Sign
Language is the third most spoken language after English and Spanish. It's
grammar is very different from written and spoken English; so reading text
may not always be easy for someone who grew up signing. Researchers at
Michigan State University have produced signing software for the web. Since
the early 1990s when we began working with the web technology, advances in
programming and hardware have made signing on the web much more fluid than
in the beginning.
        Awhile back (1995 or so), I wrote two articles for Library Hi Tech on
people with deafness and their library and technology access. Recently, Tom
McNulty, of NYU's Bobst Library, edited a book, geared to academic library
access, for which I wrote a chapter on access for the deaf community. (I
also wrote the chapter on wayfinding.) I hope you'll take a look at the
work. I know I learned a lot from writing it!
        Finally, as a person who has a neural hearing disorder and who wears a
hearing aid, I am pleased that you asked the questions. If I can contribute
to your progress in this area, please let me know. I am copying my friend,
Joni Smith, the official signer at the University of Michigan, on this
message. I know she would be happy to respond to you as well if you have
further questions.
        Happy Holidays to all of you out there!
                                        Susan Gilbert Beck

http://explorer.msn.com