AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gwen Eastmond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 07:15:39 -0800
Thank you, Audrey,

Speaking as someone who must use a cane and sometimes
a wheelchair, I *personally* will take 'handicapped',
'disabled', or 'physically challenged' as terms to
describe me.  More specific terms are also
welcome...there's no need to dance around the term
'wheelchair' when that's what's stuck in an
insufficiently accessible doorway.  On the other hand,
I find 'differabled' to be annoying at best, and
insultive at worst.  It implies (to me) that I have
gained a different ability or set of abilities to
compensate for what I lost, and what most people still
have.  It cheapens what I've been and am able to
accomplish, by implying that it shouldn't be any more
difficult for me to reach a final goal than it is for
someone who isn't 'differabled'.

Again, this is personal opinion from someone who lives
with a disability in everyday life, and will hopefully
emphasize how much term choice is a matter of personal
preference.

--Gwen