AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:38:53 -0500
Hi, all!

I want to echo what Emma said:  we need to see access and technology training as a natural part of library customer service in the 21st Century.  I know that Cleveland Public Library and some others have very proactively trained staff in helping users with available technology, including (very specifically, as an expectation) assistive technology.  With assistive technology converging with productivity technology, e.g. voice input and voice output software, this isn't just about people with disabilities.  It's about optimal service for everyone.

Some other points:
All library courses and programs should be minimally accessible AND all publicity should offer accommodations to those who need them.  In some libraries, that's going to be people who speak little English and people who are not print literate, as well as people with disabilities.  Technology that's readily available and not that expensive can provide overlapping solutions if done thoughtfully.

Neither people with disabilities nor those who have historically specialized in serving them should be second class citizens in a library setting.  Please don't segregate!  Include! (This means that people who have expertise in this and other areas of diversity also need to actively get themselves included.  Don't accept segregation.)

Some people with disabilities (and other people with differences in the way they go about things) don't want to self-identify.  This is a privacy issue.  It is a reaction to negative attitudes in society.  This is because people with disabilities (and others) are tired of not being seen as fully human once someone has a label to slap on them. This is a challenge to library staff, all library staff. Learn new ways to serve even if you don't know details about a person's life or circumstances, including specifics of disability.  Help each other shed the nineteenth-century, uncomfortable, "can I catch it?" kinds of reactions engendered by ignorance.  Or the pitying, "oh poor things" attitudes of some well-meaning souls.  Attitudes are the real disabilities!

Please refer to the ALA policy "Library Services for People with Disabilities" at http://www.ala.org/ascla/access_policy.html
and to my piece on Accessible Library Workstations at http://www.ala.org/ascla/pdf/access_libr_workstation.doc (also available in PDF format).  If you'll be in San Francisco for Annual Conference,  please consider this a personal invitation to come to the new "Accessibility Pavilion" in the exhibits.

Cheers!
Audrey

Audrey J. Gorman
Director
Roads To Learning
ASCLA/The American Library Association
50 East Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611
1-800-545-2433 Ext. 4027
Fax:  312-944-8085
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Web page: www.ala.org/roads

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/14/01 12:01PM >>>
Hello John,
I love your question, it is exactly what we at Calgary Public Library
struggle with daily.  We are in the process of installing Adaptive
technology workstations at branches throughout the city.  I can assure you
that our department Special Needs Services is FULLY devoted and will be
fully trained on the use of this equipment.  We have an understanding of the
NEEDS of our "print disabled" community and know that it is the RIGHT of
every citizen to have access to information--I would dare to say we are
PASSIONATE about the cause.  We also realize, not everyone shares in our
PASSION, it is "one more thing to learn".  I however, believe that with
proper training, encouragement and support, staff will be able to assist the
public.  I strongly believe it is VERY REASONABLE to expect the PUBLIC
LIBRARIES to have this technology readily available for ALL customers as
well as to have the knowledge to "help" the customer achieve independence
using it. (We would have no resistance to a NEW reference book if it opened
backwards, would we? We would have to adapt to it and I assure you in time
it would get used!).
ALL technology is difficult to adapt to (no pun intended), it is through use
and commitment that we learn utilize it to it's capacity.  I believe it is
the role of public libraries to "mainstream" and expose the general public
and the "print disabled" public to such technologies.  I also believe that
one can not be an advocate without the proper tools (training), therefore ,
aside from personal attitude of the staff members, TRAINING is key.
(by the way, when I speak of Special Needs Services, I speak of 5 staff
members, sometimes 3, if the snow gets too deep!!)
I can't wait to read everyone else's thoughts on this matter.  Have a
wonderful week and PLEASEEE send some of that wonderful Texas heat up this
way!!!

Emma

 Message -----