AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 12:50:25 -0700
Hello Ron and Everyone Else,

I noted the number of tools listed as inaccessible in Ron's list because of
Java.  My understanding, from personal experience with several of these
products, is that it is the use of JavaScript, not full Java that causes
the problem.  This brings up an important question.

At what point should accessibility standards be adjusted to reflect the
prevailing use of a certain type of access technology.  The vast majority
of people who are blind do not browse with either Lynx or PW Webspeak.  I
don't have formal statistics but would guess that 95 percent of people who
are blind use some sort of Windows screen reader and graphical browser.

Kelly

Barrier-free Web Design Online Workshop
Workshop starts June 7, 2000
http://www.rit.edu/~easi/workshops/easiweb.htm