AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 16:41:59 -0600
Dear Ms. Farrier,

your message below, in which you announce Questia Media's new online
research service, was forwarded to me by one of my colleagues. I look
forward to the beginning of my trial subscription. I just hope that the web
interface for your service will be more in compliance with the American of
Disabilities Act then the Marcomedia-Flash "Overview" and "Tour" features on
your "Welcome to Questia" page. The text in the "Overview" promises
"unlimited access to a wealth of human knowledge." Unlimited for whom, I
wonder? Will your new service be accessible to the millions of U.S. citizens
who, because of some form of print disability (e.g. blindness), access the
web with the help of screen reading software? If not, libraries subscribing
to your new service would violate U.S. law and expose themselves to
potential law suits.

For further information, which provides some of the legal background as well
as a perspective that more and more universities in the country are likely
to adopt, I suggest the following two documents issued by the Chancellor's
Office of California Community Colleges: "Guidelines for Producing
Instructional and Other Materials in Alternate Media for Persons with
Disabilities" (http://www.htctu.fhda.edu/amguidelines/am33000.htm) and
Distance Education: Access Guidelines for Students with Disabilities
(http://www.htctu.fhda.edu/dlguidelines/final%20dl%20guidelines.htm).

Sincerely,

Axel Schmetzke, Ph.D.
Librarian/Assistant Professor
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

cc:
members of the AXSLIB-L discussion group
various individuals