AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 12:24:41 -0500
Hi Kelly,

I will forward your question to the folks responsible for NetLibrary-related
issues here at the University of Wisconsin system. If I get any response,
I'll share it with the group. I hope that others also post their findings to
the whole group.

Needless, to say, the question is of utmost importance, and it can be easily
extended to include all other electronic resources to which libraries
subscribe these days.  I do not know of any study of the accessibility of
electronic database systems commonly used in libraries: web-based catalog
systems, such as Voyager; article indexes/databases, such as offered by
Proquest, Ebscohost and Wilson; electronic reserve systems; as well as
ebooks and ejournals. If anyone knows of such study, please let me/the group
know.

Most vendors of electronic library-type databases seem to have little, if
any, awareness of this issue. I asked about 10 different vendors at the ALA
2000 Conference last summer about the accessibility of their products for
people with disabilities. With one or two exception, the vendors either did
not know what I was talking about or they did not know the answer.

Greetings,

Axel
Library
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point