AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Yared, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:11:48 -0500
        Then what's the point of having AXSLIB-L in the first place? To
increase
the number of PWD in the library field as librarians since there are too
many
para-professionals who are PWDs. The MLS program I attended had very few
PWDs.
        There are over 60 MLS program and not one has an internship program
for PWDs (unless I'm wrong, please point out to me). If the university they
are affiliated with received federal financial assistance, then Section 504
of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 should be implemented over there, even
though there is no affirmative provision in 504, unlike 501 and 503 and the
ADA.
        The problem is that many PWDs are white, in a way, that is why we
are
often ignored.
        Mike Yared

<<From:    Corwin Watts <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: People with disabilities included?

You make it sound as if the university deliberately discriminated against
people with disabilities. I doubt that is the case, although such
discrimination does occur, it is usually the result of people not thinking
about including PWDs because people don't want to think about them. This at
least has been my experience during my time as a graduate student. I could
name several ways in which the university I'm attending (and the MLS
program, as well) has discriminated against PWDs. In every case that I've
pursued the discrimination has been unconscious rather than deliberate.

Getting back to the original post. The original post made it sound like the
university was trying to recruit ethnic minorities, rather than focusing on
other types of minorities (i.e. sexual preference, people with disabilities,
religious minorities, etc), so the complaint about excluding PWDs is really
not valid.>>

EASI's online workshop on Barrier-free Educational Technology,
Barrier-free Ed-Tech, begins March, 13.
Making campuses accessible is the right thing to do,
and it is the law.  For information, go to
http://www.rit.edu/~easi and click on workshops.