AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Yared <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:31:19 -0500
Ed Roberts Postdoctoral Fellowship in Disability Studies

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE, PLEASE PARDON DUPLICATE POSTS

Ed Roberts Postdoctoral Fellowship in Disability Studies
University of California, Berkeley
Institute of Urban and Regional Development
316 Wurster Hall #1870
University of California
Berkeley CA 94720-1870
Fax: 510-643-9576
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS -- Due: February 15. 2006
Professors Susan Schweik and Fred Collignon (Co-Directors)
Fellowship Period: September 2006- May 2007

We are pleased to announce open applications for our postdoctoral program
funded by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research
(H133P020009). The goal of this program is to train postdoctoral and
professional scholars, in any discipline, to be leaders in disability
studies and rehabilitation research and mentorship. Based at the University
of California, Berkeley, a San Francisco Bay Area Consortium of
universities, research institutes, and disability agencies will recruit
people with advanced professional degrees who want to broaden their
theoretical outlook and their disability research methodological skills.

We will fund three full-time, nine-month, residential Ed Roberts
Postdoctoral Fellowships a year. The Stipend is $30,000, paid monthly.
Fellows must have health insurance or purchase it from the university.

PROGRAM COMPONENTS
(1)   Postdoctoral Seminar: In addition to a bi-monthly San Francisco
Bay-area-wide Colloquium, Fellows will attend a structured, weekly seminar
in which each Fellow will present at least twice. This required weekly
seminar is the heart of the fellowship.
(2)   Classroom Training: Fellows will also attend at least one class,
either in the fall or spring semester, chosen from among the offerings of
the Consortium partners. Each Fellow will also have the opportunity to take
part in teaching at Berkeley by delivering guest lectures and participating
in other special events in the DiSC curriculum.
(3)   Individual Fellowship Plans: Fellows will develop and follow an
Individual Fellowship Plan composed of any of the following and other
activities.
Independent Research: All Fellows will conduct their own research project,
appropriate to their discipline, with an emphasis on using new
methodological skills and disability studies theory. We will assist Fellows
in identifying funding to pursue disability studies and rehabilitation
research and publication opportunities after the conclusion of the
Fellowship.
Research Mentorship: Fellows may work closely with a faculty Mentor, and
each Fellow may also participate as a Mentor for an undergraduate or
graduate disability studies student Mentee.
Research Internship: Fellows may choose to complete a structured or
unstructured internship with one of a group of agencies forming the Ed
Roberts Campus or other local organizations focused on disability or related
issues. Fellows may work directly with staff on ongoing agency projects or
on their own research.

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Eligibility: All requirements for a Ph.D., MD, JD, or equivalent degree
complete by the time of application. There are no restrictions on
discipline, age, or citizenship. We have a strong preference for people who
are within 5 years of their degree.
Review Schedule: Please notify us by email as soon as possible that you
intend to apply and then submit a full application in hard copy and by email
on or before February 15, 2006.

Application Structure
(1)   Cover Letter: Prepare a letter with your full contact information
including where we can reach you for a possible interview.
(2)   Curriculum Vitae: Current please.
(3)   References: Include names and full contact information for 2
references including their email and where and how we can reach them by
telephone in February-March 2006.
(4)   A Written Fellowship Plan: Not more than 10 pages double-spaced. The
Plan should address the components of the Fellows planned activities for 9
months.
Seminar and Classes: As appropriate, briefly please include what you would
contribute and what you hope to gain from our weekly Postdoctoral Seminar.
We suggest you browse the Berkeley class schedules and think about what
types of classes you would like to attend. Think about the knowledge and
skills you would like to develop and explore any possible fit with existing
UCB faculty. We also encourage applicants to initiate contact with
appropriate faculty or community organizations during the application
process. Contact our Academic Coordinator for more information or assistance
Independent Research: This section is the majority of the Plan. Describe in
detail your independent research project including your problem, thesis, or
theoretical statement, research methods, analytical methods, and other
details appropriate to your discipline. Will this work involve local
disability groups or require any particular research setting?
Dissemination: Describe your publication or other product plan including
articles, books, presentations, production projects, or other dissemination
products appropriate to your disciple and research goals.
(5)   Writing Sample: An article length sample of your best work. Choose
something that demonstrates your theoretical, methodological, and/or
analytical approach.

Please be as specific as possible and emphasize your Independent Research.
We encourage you to look at the Ed Roberts and Disability Studies at CAL,
the University of California, Berkeley, and other Bay Area schools and
disability related organizations websites. We are happy to correspond with
you by email (<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]) about these
issues prior to your application submission.

Please submit all materials in hard copy by mail and in electronic format on
a disk by mail or by email attachment to Devva Kasnitz at
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask] and
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Ed Roberts Postdoctoral Fellowship
IURD, 316 Wurster Hall #1870
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley CA 94720-1870

Cell Phone: 510-206-5767

If messages to [log in to unmask] bounce back to you, please use
<[log in to unmask]> as an alternate address.

Devva Kasnitz, PhD
New Focus Partnerships
Association of Program for Rural Independent Living
Disability Studies at Cal (DiSC)
Institute of Urban and Regional Development
Ed Roberts Postdoctoral Fellowship in Disability Studies
Academic Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley

Office Mailing Address:
316 Wurster Hall #1870
University of California
Berkeley CA 94720-1870

Fax: 510-643-9576
EMAIL: <[log in to unmask]>. and <[log in to unmask]>

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<