AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:30:48 -0500
While Tanya's and Anna's recommendations sound good, they will fall on
"deaf" ears-pun intended. But I do encourage you to continue the outreach.
The disability community has been educating editors of the media for more
than 15 years on appropriate language in speaking and writing about
individuals with disabilities, but these media folk still continue to use
inappropriate language. Just recently, a _Washington Post_ reporter used the
word, "retard," in an article title. Wow, did that hit the disability
community's fan!

Please see these disability language resources:

http://www.disabilityisnatural.com/peoplefirstlanguage.htm

According to Kathy Snow, the developer and writer of this website,

"When we refer to people with disabilities by medical diagnoses, we devalue
and disrespect them as members of the human race. Disability labels are
simply sociopolitical terms that provide a passport to services. For too
long, labels have been used to define the value and potential of people who
are labeled."

Also see: http://www.dol.gov/dol/odep/public/pubs/fact/comucate.htm
This site has most of the common word usages in describing individuals with
disabilities and the politically correct way of saying such phrases. The
disabilityisnatural.com site also has such a list.

And another good one:
"The problem with 'challenge" at:
http://www.raggededgemagazine.com/archive/challenge.htm

Carol Boyer