AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Cutler, Lynne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:05:38 -0800
I received an email saying "It was brought to my attention that there is a
fellow who frequents your library who may have Tourette Syndrome.  It was
related to me that there was some misunderstanding concerning his condition
and certain employees at the library were considering some action against
him for his "behavior."

Asking about informing staff on Tourette's, a staffperson wrote "This seems
like a tricky one to me.  What exactly would we say to staff?  Are you
suggesting that they should they ignore such behavior because it might be a
manifestation of Tourette Syndrome?  I'm sure that a certain proportion of
the inappropriate behavior that we see in the library is a result of mental
or emotional illness/disability, but we still try to enforce our behavior
conventions on those who engage in it."

I answered "Well, I thought I could distribute some fliers this
correspondent sent me, just to inform staff about Tourette's. But you are
right about behaviours inappropriate in libraries ~ and since I haven't run
into this question before, maybe I should reach out to my various networks
(BADSL, the State Library disability list, and AXIS-LIB.) Let's wait til I
do that. My sense is that Tourette's tics are not in a person's control,
whereas some other library-inappropriate behaviours are. Thanks!!

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<