AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 18:16:30 -0600
Norm, based on my experience (which is limited to academic libraries), many academic libraries provide several communication channels by which their patrons can get into touch with the reference or help-desk staff. Contact via phone and email is almost always an option. Some academic libraries utilize chat software, which may or may not be accessible; but most of the time plain email is offered as an alternative.

Admittedly, it would be good to see some more hard-core data on this issue. I'm particularly concerned about those libraries at which the initial question is to be entered into a form, which may or may not work well with screen readers. While the librarian will respond via email (and the ensuing follow-up would be conducted via email), getting the initial question out to the librarian may be a problem if the form is not designed with accessibility in mind.

My colleagues on this list might disagree.  Let's wait for further responses.

Greetings,

Axel
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point