AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
joe redman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 22:44:59 -0700
Hi All,
    A comment if I may. The Library of Congress' decision is a logical one.
The terms fit their classification scheme.Their use would make finding
subject matter easier. The term people can be sub-divided indefinitely. This
alone makes it technically impractical.
    That said... The LCSH has always been an imperfect tool. Its revisions
reflect changes in American society. i.e. Colored, to Negro, to Black. In
this case they are only ten years behind the times in their use of
"disabled" for "handicapped." The use of the term "people" first would not
necessarily invite swarms of groups hungry for the term. In fact, use of the
term "with," and exclusion of terms such as "of" and "who are," will make
the field virtually exclusive. It is especially feasible because this group
is a subset of all other groups.
    While librarians are concerned with  finding things, they are also
involved in cultural advancement. Use of the term "People with Disabilities"
will make the subject harder to find but it also serves to notify everyone,
especially those looking into the subject, that this country considers
persons with a disability as people first. (In theory at least.) In the
"spirit" of ADA, LC should adapt to persons with a disability instead of
having them try to fit into pre arranged categories.
    This would be a pro active step that would have immediate positive
impact on librarians and their patrons everywhere. I have full confidence
that both the ALA and LC will adopt this policy within the next fifty years.
Sincerely,
Joe
"The History of American Libraries Disservice to Persons with a Disability."
http://www.infinex.com/~jr/welcome.htm