AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Woody Anna Dresner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:45:57 -0600
Dear Sarah Sherman,

I have used graphical browsers, primarily Internet      Explorer, with a
screen reader since 1997, and when I worked as a computer trainer, I taught
my students to do the same.  The access you can get to Internet Explorer
with either JAWS for Windows or WindowEyes makes using these browsers
pretty easy in most cases.  They use Microsoft Active Accessibility to
decolumnize pages.  Commands in both screen readers allow you to quickly
skip large blocks of links and find the text on the page.  They allow you
to put all the links on a page into a list so you can find the one you want
by typing the first few letters of its name.  JAWS and Home Page Reader (a
program designed specifically to make Internet Explorer talk) have commands
that allow the user to navigate through tables quite well if the tables
have been assembled properly.

The only text browser I know anything about is Lynx.  It could be that Lynx
has expanded its capabilities, but last I knew, it was difficult to fill
out forms and impossible to use secure servers with it.  I don't think
image maps could be read either, while they can with the combinations of
programs I have been discussing, particularly if the image maps are labeled
well.  If a link to a picture isn't labeled with alt text, I at least have
access to the name of the file that picture is in; while not ideal access,
this is sometimes enough to find what I want on the site.  I'm pretty sure
Lynx can't handle pages with Java either, while the graphical
browser/screen reader combination often can.  So unless Lynx has been
dramatically improved, access with Internet Explorer and a good screen
reader provides much better access, in my experience.

Regards,
Anna Dresner
Publishing Associate
National Braille Press