AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 11:04:25 -0600
Special congratulations to Rebecca Van Scyoc of Illinois, our
first-ever Century Scholar, the very first recipient of the
independently-funded American Library Association ASCLA Division
Century Scholarship: Celebrating a New Century that Celebrates
Diversity!

In the Fall 2000, Mrs. Van Scyoc will begin her studies at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Graduate School of
Library and Information Science.

Please read about our #1 Century Scholar at:

http://www.ala.org/ascla/awards_current.html#century

Please join our network of Century Scholarship applicants,
winners, and advocates involved in celebrating diversity and the
also very high-tech (as in assistive technology) diversity of
doing things differently.  You don't have to win it [the
scholarship] to be in it!  (see:
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html )

Please:

1. Encourage potential Century Scholars to apply for the
scholarship: annual deadline: April 1st (see:
http://www.ala.org/work/awards/scholars.html#ASCLA)

2. Recruit potential Century Scholars into our library schools.

3. Introduce high-tech assistive technology, accessibility,
and multicultural librarianship/diversity training that includes
the diversity of doing things differently (a/k/a "differability")
into our library school curricula.

4. Welcome [future] Century Scholars into our libraries and
information centers for internships, practica, and professional
positions.

5. Encourage associations, organizations, and corporate entities
with which you are associated to become actively involved in
Century and other similar diversity initiatives.

6. Come personally congratulate our #1 Century Scholar and her
family at the first ever Century Scholarship Award Ceremony at
the ALA-Chicago ASCLA President's Program:

Sunday, July 9th, 8:30 am, Chicago's Intercontinental Hotel,
King Arthur's Court

Our #1 Century Scholar Rebecca Van Scyoc will be honored at the
same ceremony at which Project EASI's Dr. Norman Coombs will
receive ASCLA's prestigious Francis Joseph Campbell Award.  A
DOUBLY special day.  Congratulations to both Mrs. Van Scyoc and
Dr. Coombs!

A most cordial invitation to the July 9th 8:30 am ceremony
already has been extended to all American Library Association
leaders across the divisions, especially ALA officers, Executive
Board, and Council members.  On this very special day, please
come celebrate and promote in a very real way the ALA mission of
diversity for which you advocate so strongly.

Thank you! I look forward to meeting you at the celebration.

Thank you in advance for forwarding this note to all relevant
discussion lists to which it has not been otherwise sent.

Ellen Perlow
Member & Incoming Chair, ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee
Manager of Information Services
School of Library and Information Studies
Texas Woman's University
PO Box 425438
Denton, TX 76204-5438
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]