AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:08:50 -0700
EASI 4-part Fee-based Series on         Creating Accessible PDF
Presenter Karen McCall
Tuesdays Oct. 4, 11, 18 and 25
times: 11 AM Pacific, Noon Mountain, 1 PM Central and 2 PM Eastern
This series will cover both taking simple Word or scanned documents into
PDF and using Acrobat to create more complex PDF.
Week 1 What is an accessible PDF document?
This week is an overview of what types of documents we encounter every day
as PDF documents.
What makes one PDF document more accessible than another?
What types of accessibility barriers are faced with scanned images,
documents not created to optimize accessibility in the native application
and legacy PDF documents?
Week 2 The importance of logical reading order in a document or "let go of
the visual!"
How do we determine the logical or correct reading order of a tagged PDF
document
how do we ensure that the reading order is correct?
Tips and techniques for making this type of repairs.
Week 3 Creating more accessible documents in Word so you don't spend time
making the repairs in Acrobat.
Although Word is used as the example for accessible document design, the
tools should be available to document authors in other word processing or
desktop publishing applications.
Week 4 Problematic PDF.
Are there PDF documents that can't be made accessible?
How can the content be made available to someone using adaptive technology?
What are the tools available in Acrobat to make simple repairs to PDF
documents to optimize accessibility?

EASI members have free access to this series from the passworded member page:
http://easi.cc/member/index.htm

Registration for the series is $225 and you can register and pay online from
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm

(Note there are a few scholarships available)

  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.  Christopher Reeve
Norman Coombs [log in to unmask]

Making Online Teaching Accessible: Inclusive Course Design for Students
with Disabilities by Norman Coombs published by Jossey-Bass Oct 10,2010
http://www.josseybass.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470499044.html

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<