AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:46:25 -0500
Hi Dick--and others:

I'm not sure whether my question came across the way I had intended.
Allow me to clarify: I was *not* talking about programs that OCR in
connection with scanning in a print article. I was talking about
programs that can pull any imaged-based pdf documents previously created
(e.g. image-based files from JSTOR or those already placed on e-reserve)
and then OCR them "on the fly."

I assume that the problems are likely to be the same: I guess that-no
matter when the OCRing occurs-the accuracy of the OCRed product, at this
point in time, is inferior to that of the original. The questions/issues
for me are this:

1. Can we assume that OCR technology will continue to improve to the
point where we can say "Well, the OCRed article is darn close (or
sufficiently close) to the original"?

2. Is there such a thing as "sufficiently close" in quality? Wouldn't
any difference in quality, no matter how small, go against the grain of
an "equal access" philosophy or mandate?

3. If we answer questions 1 and 2 with "yes" or "quite likely", then, it
seems to me, we can continue to simply use scanned-in, image-based pdf
files for our e-reserves. (Technical access solutions will soon to be
mature enough to make image-based pdf files close-to-fully accessible.
Therefore there is no need to change the currently dominant practice of
using scanned-in, image-only pdf files for our e-reserves---so the
argument would go.)

4. If the answer to questions 1 or 2 is "no" or "probably not within the
near future", then we need to think about ways of establishing
e-reserves within the context of a larger system that allows us to get
article files in their original text-based format and to place them on
reserve (without any optical scanning involved) in either their original
format or some converted text-based format. This, of course, touches on
legal issues, involving among others, copyright law and interpretations
thereof.

Greetings,

Axel