AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:50:17 -0500
Hi there!

I'm one of the participants of the previous workshop, who is still working
on the final project.

I need some advice on an issue that I suspect is of general interest to this
group: accessible design of library catalog user interfaces.

All the libraries within the University of Wisconsin system are in the
process of phasing in a new cataloging system (Endeavor's Voyager). The user
interface currently proposed for our campus includes such elements as tables
(for lay-out purposes), text-input fields, radio buttons (to select specific
mode of output), etc. I tried pwWebSpeak to navigate a proto-type, which
some of my colleagues suggested that we adopt. I had much difficulty
navigating the site. The content of the tables is difficult to make sense of
without visual reference. I managed to enter a search term, but the radio
buttons I couldn't handle at all. (This maybe my fault, since I do not know
pwWebSpeak that well.)

I thought that I had acquired quite a bit of knowledge in the area of
accessible design. But I must admit that I feel stumped when it comes to
making an interactive web pages (such as catalog/database user interfaces)
accessible. Does any of you know of
a)  good, accessible design examples of catalog/database user interfaces
b)  discussions (articles etc.) specific to this topic (How to design an
accessible library/database user interface?)?

Thanks,

Axel Schmetzke
Library
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

PS: The currently proposed user interface would be similar to the one at
http://batman.endinfosys.com, with its Search pages beginning at
http://batman.endinfosys.com/webvoynext.htm.