AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stephanie Orphan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:13:39 -0500
I have been a volunteer for RFBD for about 7 years. We actually record
textbooks on request, so it's not just limited to items that are
commonly used.  Some lead-time is necessary to make sure that the book
will be available on time. There have been times that we're still
working on finishing a book that a borrower has started and just work to
keep up so that the next segment is ready by the time they need it.

Stephanie Orphan
Editor-in-Chief, C&RL News
50 E. Huron St.
Chicago, IL  60611
ph: 312-280-2511, fax: 312-280-2520
http://www.ala.org/acrl/

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/27/02 03:37PM >>>
Hi, all!

Chris, you've received a lot of good feedback. Bookshare.org is great
for a wide variety you don't find elsewhere. They're also a lot faster
than the "big guys" like RFB&D and the Library of Congress National
Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped. The
collection is mostly driven by the needs of the people with
disabilities who contribute scanned texts.

RFB&D is probably still the best source for textbooks, if they're
commonly used in a lot of settings. Also, they do quite a bit with
math, physics, and other areas that involve formulas and unusual
technical fonts and language. And they're pushing the state of the art
by working rapidly on brining digital talking books into use. In fact,
I see on their web site that they'll be shipping the firstorders for
thier new digitally recorded textbooks. RFB&D has recording units
around the country and you can see a list on their web site. No unit
in
South Dakota, though. The one in Colorado is the closest, I think.

The Library of Congress National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped (known to most of us as NLS) is good for
mainstream fiction and some non-fiction. The standards are very high,
so the process takes time. They don't do textbooks. The libraries for
the blind and handicapped in the states, like the one in South Dakota
that was mentioned, are part of the NLS network throughout the
country.
Some regional libraries have their own recording facilities and do
requests. Turn-around times vary, but the longer the time before the
item is needed, the better. The process that's used for books on tape
takes time.

Hope all of this information helps you. Welcome to this exciting part
of librarianship!

Best,
Audrey

> Chris,
> South Dakota has a talking books program at the state library.  The
URL is
> listed below.
>
> http://www.sdstatelibrary.com/b&tb/
> --
> John Moore, MLIS
> Information Resources Coordinator
> Texas Technology Access Project
> Texas Center for Disability Studies
> University of Texas at Austin
> 4030 West Braker Lane
> Building 1 Suite 180
> Mail Code L4000
> Austin, TX 78759
>
> toll free (800) 828-7839
> local (512) 232-0750
> fax (512) 232-0761
>
> http://techaccess.edb.utexas.edu
>

> > From: "Bloss, Christopher" <[log in to unmask]>
> > Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:52:00 -0500
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: Books on Tape
> >
> > Greetings:
> >
> > I'm trying to locate a resource for books on tape (especially
textbooks) for
> > individuals with special challenges.  I could use good, hard
feedback from
> > this group because I'm a new librarian and don't know where else
turn.
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> >
> > --Chris
> >
> > Chris Bloss