AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:23:10 -0400
From: http://www.rfbd.org/mediapr30.htm

Press Release

RFB&D NAMES JOHN KELLY AS NEW PRESIDENT AND CEO

(August 30, 2004) Princeton, NJ - The national board of directors at the
national nonprofit Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic® (RFB&D®), has
announced that John Kelly of Lawrenceville, NJ, will succeed the
organization's President and CEO Richard O. Scribner upon his retirement,
effective October 23.

"We initiated a thorough and intensive nationwide search for a CEO to carry
out our ambitious plans for growth and development," explained national
board chairman Tom Trainor.  "When it came down to the final decision, we
agreed that one of our own staff, John Kelly, is the candidate whose
experience, knowledge, proven leadership and devotion to our mission makes
him the best possible individual to carry the mantle of President and CEO. "

Scribner, whose volunteer and executive leadership of the nonprofit
organization extends over 14 years, applauds the decision.

"Having built his career at RFB&D, John is intimately familiar with every
facet of this wonderful organization.  He steps into this job with a deep
understanding of the needs of those with print disabilities whom we seek to
serve," said Scribner.

Kelly joined RFB&D in 1985 as manager of library services and earned a
series of promotions based on his successful implementation of programs that
significantly increased RFB&D's membership and its level of service among
students of all ages with disabilities that make reading challenging or
impossible.  He was most recently named executive vice president of programs
and services.

"Even after twenty years, I still get a daily rush when I go to work each
day, certain that it is quite literally true that the students who use our
service would not be in school if it weren't for RFB&D and the work that we
do to make textbooks accessible," said Kelly.  "It's a distinct privilege to
work among colleagues and volunteers whose every task and decision is
directly influenced by our collective commitment to help students experience
educational success."

In his two decades of service and leadership at RFB&D, Kelly is credited
with the initiation of programs and services that resulted in a six-fold
increase in RFB&D's membership since 1989.  John conceived and developed
RFB&D's Educational Outreach program which is now in place in more than
7,000 schools across the country. In addition to greatly expanding RFB&D's
profile among educators and its reach and effectiveness in classrooms across
the nation, programs under Kelly's leadership are credited with generating
successively higher levels of revenues through fees, sales and public
funding.

Through his tenure, Kelly has significantly expanded RFB&D's network of
partners among agencies and organizations serving people with print
disabilities in education, the publishing industry and library services.
This enhanced profile has enabled RFB&D to better serve its growing
membership by preserving or advancing legislation and regulatory initiatives
in arenas including copyright and fair use, digital rights management and
intellectual property protection.

A 1981 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, Kelly holds a master's
degree in library and information science from Drexel University.

He is a member of the American Library Association, the International
Federation of Library Associations and the Special Library Association.

Kelly resides in Lawrenceville, NJ, with his wife and two children.

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<