AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 13:34:35 -0700
Dear Marti:

Regarding your request about the request for a sign interpretr. . . . .

I essentially agree with you.  However, you want to handle this in a
diplomatic way not to anger someone and create trouble even if you were to
win any case that came out of it.

I would reply myself something like:

We are glad you are coming to do research in our facilities.  We need
clarification regarding your interpretr request.  Do you expect that you
will be required to have extensive verbal, face-to-face conversations with
the library staff?  If this were the case, we will try to meet your
request.  As you realize this is an expensive service, and we cannot afford
to pay such a person to be standing by while you spend large amounts of
time reading and writing with only an occasional verbal interchange with
staff.

If, as it seems when doing research, you will work alone most of the time,
our staff will be eager to interact with you in writing and will do
everything we can to assist you as we would with anyone doing research here
. . . .

Good luck.
Norman