AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 12:22:54 -0500
EASI's weekly roundtable webcast will be interviewing Dr. Larry Scadden
from the National Science Foundation's Program for Persons with
disabilities.   This program includes more than 2 dozen grants involving
some exciting and innovative projects to make the fields of science and
math more accessible to students and professionals with disabilities.

Larry explains how there are both specific technical problems for access
in these fields and an underlying problem of negative social attitudes.
He discusses some of the state-of-the-art technologies recently
developed and still under development.  He shares his own story, as a
blind college student and professional in the sciences including the
social and technical barriers and how he was able to transcend these
challenges.

In the coming weeks and months, the roundtable will host people from
these NSF grant projects so that our listeners can get an inside view of
what is happening.  Next week, November 5, our guests will be from the
University of Southern Main'es biotechnology Works Project.

tune in on thursdays posted at 9 Eastern, 8 Centeral, 7 Mountain and 6
Pacific Times.  We know you will find these topics informative and the
guests interesting.  All webcasts will become part of our archive for
you to listen to later.

EASI is negotiating with a transcriber who will provide us with
transcriptions of future and previous webcasts.