AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:30:05 -0700
                          EASI WebMedia News
April 2001

EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information) webcasts regular interviews
with leaders in the fields of adaptive technology, education and the
Internet.  Listeners have expressed an interest in knowing in advance what
will be the topics and guest for these webcasts.  WebMedia news will give a
super brief look at the webcasts scheduled for the next month.  Please
forward to friends whom you know are interested in these topics.

The spring issues are sent as samples.  Later only contents will be sent,
and those wanting the monthly newsletter in full can subscribe.  See
instructions at the bottom.

Interview Contents:
All interviews will be posted on the day announced accompanied by
transcriptions for the deaf.  They will then be available on demand for the
indefinite future:
Webcasts can be found at: http://easi.cc

1 May 3, Howard Kramer describes the Higher Ground Conference on
Disabilities and technology In Boulder CO Nov. 2001

2 May 10, Audrey Gorman from the American Library Association discusses the
ALA policy on accessibility and the access initiatives at the June ALA
conference in San Fransisco

3 May 17, Judy Brewer from the World Wide Web Consortium's Web
Accessibility Initiative discusses its efforts to set standards for web
authoring tools

4 May 24, Reidy Brown from Blackboard describes their work to implement the
Section 508 standards into its distance learning courseware

(No new webcast on May 31.)

5 Please see the announcement at the bottom on three EASI online training
workshops.  Barrier-Free E-learning scheduled for May 7, Barrier-free Web
Design, April 30 and Business Benefits of Accessible IT Design May 7.

Webcasts are available on demand at: http://easi.cc

----------------
This is the second issue of WebMedia News and is sent as a sample.  To
subscribe for this brief, monthly preview of EASI and other webcasts, send
e-mail to [log in to unmask] saying sub easipub (and include
your first and last name).
------------

1 May 3, Howard Kramer describes the Higher Ground Conference on
Disabilities and technology In Boulder CO Nov. 2001
Howard is the Assistive Technology Lab Coordinator at Colorado University
Disability Services and this fall will be the 4th Higher Ground conference.
 It is Nov. 14-17.  In the Interview, Howard says:

This year's conference will have a number of new components.  As you know,
EASI will have a special "mini institute" with sessions on Tactile graphics
and Access to Science labs.  The National Center for Accessible Media will
also be participating, doing among others, a session on "Techniques and
Applications for making Web-based Physics Multimedia Accessible."

2 May 10, Audrey Gorman from the American Library Association discusses the
ALA policy on accessibility and the access initiatives at the June ALA
conference in San Fransisco
Audrey said:

At our mid-winter meeting in January, which was held in Washington D.C., we
actually passed a new policy, I should say our ALA Council, which is
representative of our whole 60,000 member organization much like congress
in the
US passed a new policy on library services and people with disabilities. It
has nine different sections. This is an exciting tool for us to begin
working and in terms of what we are talking about today, there are two
sections. Section 5 on assistive technology and number nine, on ALA
publications and communication.

3 May 17, Judy Brewer from the World Wide Web Consortium's Web
Accessibility Initiative discusses its efforts to set standards for web
authoring tools.
Judy said:
We actually have a trilogy of guidelines that address Web accessibility and,
as you said, the one that most people are familiar with is the Web content
accessibility guidelines which explain how to make a Web site accessible for
people with disabilities. I just want to mention one of two things about the
way that document is set up, because it is consistent across our other
guidelines as well. . .

4 May 24, Reidy Brown from Blackboard describes their work to implement the
Section 508 standards into its distance learning courseware
Reidy Brown is a senior software engineer with Blackboard, and in the
interview she says:

The federal Section 508 regulations have increased awareness of Internet
accessibility issues, particularly in the educational arena. Blackboard has
been focusing on accessibility issues for nearly two years, because we
believe that accessibility is a vital component of online educational
software. We've been working hard to make sure Blackboard 5.5 implements the
Section 508 standards, and we're looking forward to working with our users
to help them take full advantage of the new accessibility features.

5.  EASI is the premiere organization providing online training related to
adaptive technologies.  We presently have 5 workshops and have more in the
works.  They are all provided over e-mail and the web and provide frequent
interaction with instructors and colleagues.  You can work largely at your
own pace, but you are not left on your own.

Beginners Barrier-free Web Design begins April 30
Barrier-free E-learning on accessible distance learning begins May 7.
Business Benefits of Accessible IT Design begins May 7

Full descriptions, costs and online registration are at http://easi.cc
(Continuing education units are available.)