AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
jallegri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:32:17 -0500
>===== Original Message From "Library Access -- http://www.rit.edu/~easi"
>    I am a library science student and was wondering how non-English
>speakers who are blind or deaf are helped at libraries for the disabled?
>    What Braille, audio or special materials are available in other
>languages?
>    Thank you.

Michael,
The Library of Congress, National Library Service for Blind and Physically
Handicapped produces audio books in many different languages.  They are also
part of an international consortium, including the Royal National Institute
for the Blind in England and the Canadian National Institute for the Blind.
Take a look at their union catalog to see the variety of languages available.

http://www.loc.gov/nls/web-blnd/bph.html

Keep in mind, that the amount of material available is still only a small
amount of what is available to those of us who can read traditional print.

Regarding people who are deaf, the primary issue is seeing that they have
access to printed alternatives for audio sources.

Julia Allegrini, Library Supervisor
Northern Kentucky Talking Book Library
502 Scott Boulevard
Covington, Kentucky 41011