AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 08:38:29 -0500
Mike

You made the following comment:
>Instead of fighting the disablist attitude of libraries
>and spending time and energy on looking for complaints,
>how about working on breaking down barriers and solving problems?
>        Mike Yared

I don't understand your statement. Similar to David, I have been looking for
complaints, or possibly court cases, against libraries or other public
institutions for not providing accessible web pages. Why?  Because citing
these court cases, whether in articles or in direct
conversations/confrontations with representatives of public institutions is
probably more effective in bringing about change then mere moral arguments.
If I can't convince someone that designing web pages accessibly is the right
thing to do, then perhaps the citation of a pertinent court decision might
convince him/her that it should be done on legal grounds. (Nobody wants to
hassle with a law suit).

Axel Schmetzke
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point