AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Yared <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:34:25 -0500
I'm just the messenger. Mike

H-Dis: CFP: Disability Studies in Education (New York, 19-21 May 2005)

Please accept our apologies for cross-posting...

Call for Proposals

5th Annual Second City National Conference on Disability Studies in
Education
Thursday 19th - Saturday 21st May, 2005

Sponsored by
Teachers College, Columbia University, New York City

THE 30th ANNIVERSARY OF I.D.E.A.: ITS IMPACT ON AMERICAN EDUCATION AND
SOCIETY
Four strands will include:
Theorizing and Politicizing Disability in Education and Rehabilitation
Disability Studies & Classroom Practice
Introduction to Disability Studies
Disability Studies & the Humanities

The purpose of this conference is to explore and debate the impact of the
passage of P.L. 94.142 in 1975, now known as the Individuals with
Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). IDEA is considered the legal milestone to
guarantee a “free and appropriate public education” for all students with
disabilities. Often hailed as the foundation of special education as we know
it, IDEA has undoubtedly had an enormous impact on the entire American
education system. Yet, while much has been accomplished, we must be
reconciled that much remains to be done. As a field, education--and in
particular, special education--has resisted critical self-reflection on
theories, policies, and practices related to disability. In contrast, the
emerging interdisciplinary field of scholarship, disability studies,
actively seeks to examine critically issues related to the dynamic interplay
between disability and the contexts in which it occurs. As described by
disability studies scholar Rosemarie Garland Thomson, “ disability is a
representation, a cultural interpretation of physical transformation or
configuration, and a comparison of bodies that structures social relations
and institutions. Disability then, is the attribution of corporeal
deviance--not so much a property of bodies as a product of cultural rules
about what bodies should be or do.” This conference will continue the
important work of furthering discussions and debates about disability
studies as it relates to the field of education.

We are soliciting proposals that address this year’s overarching theme: The
30th Anniversary of I.D.E.A.: Its impact on American Education and Society.
However, we have created four sub-categories in order to create as diverse a
program as our resources permit. It is our hope that we will be able to
provide concurrent sessions in each of the following categories: Theorizing
and Politicizing Disability in Education and Rehabilitation; Disability
Studies & Classroom Practice; Disability Studies & the Humanities; and
Introduction to Disability Studies. Proposals will be considered for
publication in a special edition of Disability Studies Quarterly, scheduled
for 2006.

The conference is open to professors, researchers, teachers, administrators,
students presenting individually or in groups, and members of the general
public who are interested. We will give consideration to theoretical papers,
research papers, practical application papers, and encourage interpretive
and critical inquiry. Presentation format is open; we encourage interactive
and alternative presentation designs. As part of the conference, each
presenter will be asked to participate in an informal interactive group
discussion at the end of the day s/he presents.

Please visit this website for further details on proposal submissions and
the conference!

http://www.tc.columbia.edu/ceoi/spring05/IDEA30.html

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<