AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:31:29 -0400
For some reason, my message from about 10 days ago did not make on the list.
So, I'm trying to recapture my reasoning.

When a person who is blind or who has low vision must use software
interfaces or additional electronic maneuverings to access PDF documents,
ask yourself this question: Is this access "comparable to the access to and
use of information and data . . . by other members of the public who are not
individuals with disabilities" [from the Section 508 Standards]?

Think about this analogy in public facilities. If a person who uses a
wheelchair must gain access to a public building from the accessible parking
space next to the building by rolling two blocks around the building to the
accessible entrance, is this "equivalent facilitation" [from the ADA]? If it
will take the wheelchair user an extra five minutes to catch up with his
friends who walked into the closest entrance to the parking lot, is the
building and its facilities compliant with the ADA? Well, the ADA states
that the parking spaces must be on the closest path of travel to a
building's accessible entrance.

Therefore, any additional software that must be downloaded or added on that
will take additional time that does not provide a seamless transition for a
person accessing websites and electronic files, to me, is not "comparable to
the access to and use of information and data . . . by members of the public
who are not individuals with disabilities."

Carol Boyer
Project Associate
RESNA Technical Assistance Project
1700 N. Moore Street, Suite 1540