AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:17:16 -0400
In March of 2003, Northcentral University became accredited!!!
Northcentral University was the first on-line institution to offer
several PhD programs without having to physically attend any
residencies! I have been accepted into Northcentral University to pursue
a PhD in Organization Psychology. Having this degree would have enabled
me to become an on-line consultant for physically disabled young adults.
Unlike Walden University, Northcentral University did not have regular
semesters and classes. Students worked at their own time schedules and
with professors on a one-to-one basis. For instance, I completed
Information Research Strategies (first class)in less than a month and
earned an A! After enrolling in my second class, I dropped out because
the professor did not respond to any of my e-mail messages. When he
finally responded, he intended to fail me due to not liking my writing.
Since I played the Good Ole Boys Game for eleven years, I no longer had
the strength to continue advocating for my student rights. After
realizing most graduate students were gainfully employed, I felt even
more disgusted, outraged, and so on.

Although I have a Bachelors from Monmouth University and Masters from
Walden University, seeking employment has been a ridiculous struggle due
to having bad speech and Cerebral Palsy. If an employer offered me a job
position regarding on-line teaching, on-line counseling, on-line
research assistant, data entry, web design, proofreading / editing, or
freelance writing, it would be an honor and a privilege. After
graduating from Monmouth University, I have been submitting over two
hundred resumes to Careers On-Line, Disabled Job Resources, USAtoday
Careers, Career-Resumes, Careers From Home, Just One Break, US Job
Board, Disability Career Forum, PsycCareers, Airweb, JAN, Disabled2Work,
Net-Temps, Help-Wanted, Challege 2000, Resume Blaster, Monster,
Telecommuting Jobs, JobDirect, Career Path, Career Mart, America Job
Bank, Career File, JobBank USA, Careers - Wall Street Journal, Hot Jobs,
and Student Central. In addition, I have been snail mailing
approximately two hundred resumes to various places such as Northern
NJ's Services, Johnson & Johnson, New York Times Job Market, New
Horizons, MOCEANS, CAST, March of Dimes, Clerical Plus, Diversified,
NOD, YMCA, Harvard University, Brookdale Community College, Berkeley
University, Ramapo College, NJIT, Stanford University, Yale University,
Middlesex Community College, Wheaten Community College, Laramie
Community College, Lane Community College, Cascadia Community College,
Ashland Community College, Washtenaw Community College, Shoreline
Community College, Porterville Community College, Pearl River Community
College, Onondaga Community College, Heartland Community College,
Northwest Arkansas Community College, Macomb Community College, Langara
College, Kirtland Community College, Logan Community College, Glendale
Community College, Southwestern Oregon Community College, Hartford
Community College, Atlantic Cape Community College, Delaware County
College, Dallas Telecollege, Clovis Community College, Holmes Community
College, Casper College, Colgate University, Seton Hall University,
Lupus, Edinboro University, Oregon State University, United Way, and
NJ's Resources. So far, I am receiving rejection letters, requests for
money donations, and address labels, which is extremely frustrating!!!
For example, United Cerebral Palsy of New Jersey was going to interview
me for a web designer position. The gentleman, who should have
interviewed me, rescheduled the interview for a later date. A few days
later, he canceled the interview and promised to reschedule. After one
month, he never contacted me. So, I tried contacting him. He never
answered my phone or email messages.

After endless searching the Asbury Park Press and Star Ledger, I
realized that being a cake decorator was not an appropriate career
choice. Therefore, I decided to find an advocator to assist me in
obtaining a job. I have contacted NJ Psychological Association,
Middlesex County Association of Psychologists, Employment Service Center
Network, Federal Employment of People with Disabilities, Presidential
Task Force On Employment of Adults With Disabilities, Fighting for the
Rights of Employers With Disabilities, Disability Advocacy Resources,
IDEA, NOD, Job & Career Connections, Community Options, Disability
Rights Advocates, Advocate's Office, Consortium for Citizens with
Disabilities, Disabilities Institute, AAPD, SFSU Disability Institute,
ADA, New Jersey's Community Colleges, UCPNJ, APA, Monmouth County Office
of Disabilities, MOCEANS, LIFT, and plenty more. To my dismay, some
advocators already have wished me good luck while passing the buck to
Uncle Chuck. If any organizations have any complaints about my personal
experiences, they are welcome to contact me and explain how they assist
people with physically disabilities.

On November 7, 2002, Monmouth County Office of Disabilities asked me to
work on their web site!!! This volunteer job involves adding content to
the site. It is a pleasure to be doing something else besides attending
school! So far, I have designed several of the following categories:
Faces, Resources, Voting, Transportation, ADA, News, Announcements,
Health, Careers, and Letter From The Director. This information can be
viewed at
http://www.monmouthhumanservices.org/disabilities/index.asp?action=1.
Currently, my work is being reviewed. Since the review process is a
forever wait, I am extremely bored all over again because I do not have
much to do!

For more information, see http://home.att.net/~ysinger/me.htm.