AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"McCraw, Jackie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:15:33 -0400
Hi,

I have used IBM HomePage Reader with two different screen readers.  I like
the easy reading keys on the number pad for moving from link to link, and
the use of a female voice to read the link itself, as opposed to a male
voice to read text.  However, because all key commands are issued on the
number pad, it has a bunch of quirky key combinations to perform actions,
such as going to a new internet site or jumping around on the web page, and
I can't seem to remember what they are, so it's a pain.

You have to go into the normal screen reader program when you are in your
internet browser to configure it to be in "sleep mode" when IBM HomePage is
running, and to "wake up" when you need to read something in your internet
rowser itself.  Or, if you do not have that option, you have to disable or
close your normal screen reader program, and make yourself a "hot key" to
reopen it as needed.  It depends on whicxh screen reader you use: JAWS for
Windows has a "sleep mode," whereas some other screen readers do not.

I have not tried the newest version of HPR, and I would like to.  If you do
try it, let us know how it works.

- Jackie McCraw