AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 10:21:02 GMT
Hello AXSLIB and ACCESS-L folk,

Steve Noble of RFBD asks about trends in access to libraries by users who have
print disabilities.  I wonder if we shouldn't be asking new questions.
Considering:
* increasing numbers of print-disabled have a computer at home;
* increasing numbers have access to the internet;
* a significant proportion of blind people have difficulty getting to a library;
* those who can get to a library may have their own access system,
which they might prefer to use rather than using whatever the library has;
* increasingly the access system will be available on a pocket computer
which the user could take to the library;
* only a small proportion of blind people can read Braille;
* the emerging de facto standard for mark-up of text is HTML with CSS;

the questions I would ask are:
1. Can the library provide information to customers on floppy disc or CD-ROM,
in ASCII or HTML form?
2. Can the library provide information to customers via internet?
3. Can the library provide remote access to their services via the internet?
4. When a print-disabled person goes to the library, can they be provided
with a means to electronically record results (e.g. results of a search,
a piece of etext, or text output from an OCR machine) on floppy disc to
take away with them (just as a sighted person might get a print-out or
use a copier)?
5. When a print-disabled person goes to a library, can they plug in their
own access system to enable them to use the computer-based services that the
library provides?

I'd be interested in whether any libraries can answer more than the first
two questions in the affirmative.

Cheers from Chiswick,

John
--
P.S.  Here is the message to AXSLIB to which I am responding.

--
Access the word, access the world       Tel/fax +44 181 742 3170/8715
John Nissen                             Email to [log in to unmask]