AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 18:23:54 -0500
Re the inquiry about providing an interpreter for a patron who has a hearing
difference.

Thank you, Dr. Coombs! I agree wholeheartedly with you.

It is not what a library "has to do" that should be the focus.  It is what a
library CAN do to help a patron, ANY and EVERY patron, to provide the best
service possible to all patrons. The same way we try to provide the
best possible service to patrons whose diversity is that they know/understand
different languages other than the language[s] provided for at the library is
how we should approach providing service to people whose language is sign
language.

Step 1: Ask the patron about his/her needs - just as we would any other patron.

Every difference is unique to the individual. [Using myself as an example, due
to a mobility difference, I type with one hand, my left hand. Fast and
accurately. Some people may assume falsely that to type,  I require/must use a
special keyboard and/or special software. I don't.  I type on a standard QWERTY
keyboard, because that is how I taught myself to do it. ]

Ask the patron.  The patron knows best what s/he requires, IF ANYTHING.

Why I advocate so strongly for positive language when the subject matter
involves people with differences or differabilities.

The "dis" and other negative terminology has kept society's focus on "what do
we have to do" and "what can we get away with NOT doing without getting into
legal trouble:" negative attitudes that promote misperceptions, false
assumptions, and the depersonalization of people who do things differently.

Turn the subject into the positive topic that it should be: "A for
Accessibility," a subject relevant to everyone, and we will have people wanting
to provide service, especially in new, innovative, cost-effective, even
cost-free ways.  That is why I was so pleased that the Accessibility Pavilion
at ALA Annual was called positively the ACCESSIBILITY Pavilion.  The crowds came,
experienced first hand, and were "wowed." For some photos, see:
http://twu.edu/~s_perlow/accessibilitypavilion.html

What a POSITIVE difference just one word can make!

Turn on the TV or radio. It is not an accident that in the commercials that
many corporate slogans for today's successful products and services include the
positive phrases "different," "making a difference" "working to make a
difference," and variations on the "different/difference" theme.

Accessibility Advocates: Working to Make a Difference!

Ellen Perlow
Chair, ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee
The ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Diversity Initiative
"Celebrating a New Century that Celebrates Diversity"
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html
Have YOU recruited/applied to be a Century Scholarship applicant today?
A for Accessibility: Positive Wins Every Time.
Manager of Information Services
School of Library and Information Studies
Texas Woman's University
P.O. Box 425438
Denton, TX 76204-5438
Tel.: 940-898-2622  Fax: 940-898-2611