AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elizabeth Eisenhood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 07:57:17 -0700
Let's try email, Jo Ann....it's probably a lot less stressful than the
typing and waiting involved with tty. This is our situation in a
nutshell...Seattle Public Library, of which we are a part even though we are
a state-wide agency and they are a city library system, is planning a
brand-new downtown facility. We all want it to be a state-of-the-art
building both architecturally and in terms of its layout and services. Our
division, the Talking Book & Braille Library, would like to contribute
suggestions for 'going beyond the ADA,' meaning enhancements that make the
provision of library service to people with disabilities as seamless and
stress-free as possible. We would like to know what other libraries have
done in a) preparing questions or topics for focus groups; or b) in
collecting and collating answers to said questions in the form of
suggestions for the architects and interior designers.
        Would you be willing to share the questions that you are to pass by your
focus groups? Have you already found a body of literature that proposes some
'answers' as well?
        Let me know if I haven't made myself clear, Jo Ann, and I will give it
another try!
        Thanks-
        Beth Eisenhood
        Reference Librarian
        Washington Talking Book & Braille Library
        Seattle