AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:54:26 -0500
Beth and all,

I think it's great that the library is looking to provide better
access for people with disabilities.  I don't know of any set of focus
group questions developed for this purpose, especially with regard to
services and not just "Bricks and mortar."  I'm hoping someone else
does.

Is there a provider of services to people with disabilities that
might have done something similar?  Or maybe could help frame the
questions and identify participants?

It would seem to me that the question(s) should be more specific in
terms of asking about current and potential services.  For example,
"Have you used our reference services?  What changes would make
reference services more responsive to you?" or "What formats should
the library offer resources in?" or "We want to make the resources on
our computer workstations more accessible.  What are the three most
important things we can do, from your perspective?  What disabilities
are helped by these approaches?" or "We're considering adding the
following software to make our computer workstations more accessible.
Which software will make the stations most accessible to the greatest
numbers of people?"  or "What would help you use our computers more
easily? [Think in terms of one-on-one training, classes, directions in
alternative formats, etc.]"

How are the focus groups to be formed?  I'm sure you know that you
want users and non-users, as well as people representing a broad range
of disabilities and disability service providers.  Focus group
profiles influence outcomes greatly and can bias results.

I seem to have more questions than answers at the moment!  I'll be
glad to provide information and even help identify people from the LD
community, if needed.

Regards!
Audrey

Audrey J. Gorman
Director
Roads To Learning, The Public Libraries' Learning Disabilities
Initiative
The American Library Association
50 East Huron Street
Chicago, IL  60611

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Voice: 1-800-545-2433  ext. 4027
Fax: 1-312-944-8085

>>> Elizabeth Eisenhood <[log in to unmask]> 06/04 11:54 AM >>>
[Edited for length].... However, I could use your
expertise at this time. I'm the reference librarian at our state's
talking book and braille library, which is connected to the city's
public library network. The city is involved in designing a new
downtown library building, and we want to aid that process by creating
focus groups of people with various disabilities for their
'accessibility wishes.'

We are not interested in covering the ground that the ADA has already
covered-doorways, bathrooms, handrails, etc.-but in going beyond that
to ask people how they would like the services within the library to
be delivered to them. It would be something like asking, "When you
come in the door of the library, as a person with X what would you
need/what would you like to see as the first thing that introduces you
to the library facility and services?"

Elizabeth Eisenhood
Washington Talking Book & Braille Library, Seattle