AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Simon Healey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:43:02 -0400
To all

I would like to take a moment to add that while Conference Services staff is
small, they are responsive to requests for services by a person with a
disability and that ALL public PC's at conference are loaded with Zoomtext
... needless to say the name of the squeaky wheel will remain nameless.

To add to Sarah's comments on services for people with disabilities at ALA
conference - it is a "chicken or the egg" question of responsibility between
ALA and the conference center.

Given the number and excellent attendance of PWD programs at the latest ALA
conference I get the felling that ALA's ADA policy has "matured" in the
minds of ALA and it's members and that we the "members of the chorus" should
be pushing ALA to focus on issues of universal design of accommodations and
the usability of a library's electronic services and programs.

It sounds like a huge platform of issues but the response could be asking
ALA to consider the ADA accommodations and the usabilitiy for all of
individual conference centers when ALA is negotiating a contract with the
conference center. As a PWD I found that this year Boston was well suited to
holding a conference that us all want-abi "average" people could attend
while Chicago's services has spawned a spirited debate on the listservs.

SImon

Simon Healey
Librarian II - Reference & Access Technology
Free Library of Philadelphia

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<